Literary scat for the mind, including thoughts and insight on the world of TV, Movies, Video Games, Books, and other fun distractions in a consumer world.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Finaaaal Countdown

It's seven days til go time to my second 26.2 mile race, the Marine Corps Marathon. Am I ready? That's the question I've been pondering these last few weeks. My new job, now in it's eight week, so one can argue if it's still considered 'new', has totally been cramping my style, my marathon training, as well as other fun deviations like writing this blog, day dreaming, and playing video games. Bitch, bitch, bitch...

At this point, the train has left the station. I'm running this friggin thing if it kills me. Not the best attitude or mindset going into my final week, but quite frankly, I'm all out of excuses. The race deferment deadline has passed. Physically, though I'm not in the prime fighting shape that I was in 2001 when I ran my first marathon in 3:30, but I'm pretty confident I can run the course without dying. However, the fact that I've almost gone through all of the Milky Way and mini Reese's Cups Halloween candy in my apartment isn't helping me shed some extra poundage to give my feet the extra bounce I'll need come race day. Mentally, I don't think I'm prepared to realistically beat my personal best, my only best, is disheartening, but is something I'll have to simply accept and move on.

The good news is that the course is relatively flat, and I've heard it's a good, fun course, filled with inspiring monuments and ooo-raah marines motivating you along the way. Hopefully that will help clear the mental bats in my head.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that light is Halloween!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home