Literary scat for the mind, including thoughts and insight on the world of TV, Movies, Video Games, Books, and other fun distractions in a consumer world.

Monday, October 02, 2006

I Can't Feel Me Legs

Yesterday in New York City was the first annual Men's Health Urbanathlon. In preparation for the upcoming Marine Corps Marathon in a few weeks, this was a good opportunity test my racing legs as it spanned roughly ten miles from Central Park at 102nd St., down the West Side Highway, through Chelsea Piers and the Financial District, and back up to the Meatpacking District, with various obstacle course goodies scattered throughout. What goodies? Here's a few:

The Hurdle:









This was the first major obstacle that was on board the Intrepid (besides the pissing rain). Easy enough, pull yourself over the first plank, go underneath the next, then over, then under, over. I saw some guy wipe out on the first plank, slipping on the air craft carriers deck, and almost cracking his head open. Luckily he was okay.

The Ranger Weave:










This was the second obstacle on the Intrepid. It wasn't as difficult as I thought, partially due to the adrenaline rush of living out my thirty second dream of participating in "The Best Ranger Challenge." A most impressive sight I witnessed was a paraplegic runner with one of those fiberglass prosthetic spring legs right up my ass on this obstacle. I was amazed that this guy was going up and under these logs with only one real leg. And I'd be damned if I was going to be the one to slow him down.

The Pegboard Traverse:










This was probably one of the most demanding challenges on your upper body, particularly if the last time you did a push up for pull up was over 6 months. Fortunately this was an optional obstacle, so I gladly gave the bird to this one.

The Rock Wall Traverse:










This was the other choice if you didn't do the peg wall. I was initially concerned after getting a sneak peek at this that this would be as difficult to do was the peg wall, but luckily we were able to step on the small ledge for leverage, which make this a piece of cake.

The Wall:










This was the last obstacle before the finish line. The rain certainly didn't help get any foot traction against the wall. On the third try, and smashing my right knee, I finally made it over.

...and climbing fifty two flights of this friggin' building (World Trade Center 7)














This was the most daunting obstacle in the entire race. Mental motivational games like feeling like a firefighter on 9/11 only lasted about the 28th floor, then the claustrophobia started to set in, and I'm not even claustrophobic. The oddly enough specks of blood began appearing on the steps at around floor 33- I was curious to see when I'd run into a bloody corpse. Fortunately there was none. At the top, there was a lovely 360 view of the city, unfortunately the fog covered any visible skyline, and my light headed delirium certainly didn't help fully take in as much of the sight as I could have if I'd taken the elevator, or had a oxygen tank on hand.

Overall, a great race, even with the rain. Though official times are still not posted, I think I managed roughly a 1:55 including the obstacles. Hopefully this is a sign of how I'll perform in a few weeks in DC. At least that course from what I understand is pretty flat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home